Man at the wheel of a van

Van insurance

Protect your van with flexible insurance cover options from Hastings Direct. Our van insurance policy offers the cover you need, so if things go wrong you can get back to business quickly.

Why choose Hastings Direct van insurance?

Optional extras like breakdown cover and substitute vehicle allow you to build the tailor-made van insurance policy that suits you best.

Comprehensive policies only Hastings Direct logo Hastings Premier logo
Get a courtesy vehicle while yours is being repaired
£5,000 personal accident cover
Unlimited windscreen and glass cover
£300 of personal items cover
24 hour claims helpline
Breakdown cover Optional
Motor legal expenses cover Optional

Hastings Direct also offers a range of optional extras, such as personal accident, breakdown and substitute vehicle cover, which you can easily add to your van policy. Limitations may apply to these products.

Van insurance

If you rely on your van for work, an accident, theft or breakdown could cause everything to grind to a halt. Quality van insurance will help get your business back up and running as quickly as possible, giving you peace of mind your livelihood is well protected.

What is van insurance?

Just like car and bike cover, there are three levels of van insurance: third party (the most basic policy), third party fire and theft, and comprehensive. Comprehensive insurance is the highest level of cover, protecting you, your belongs and any third parties against accidents, damage, fire and theft.

Van insurance comes in different types, and the right policy for you will depend on your personal circumstances. It's a little more confusing than car insurance, so to help make things clear, we've put together this simple guide on insurance for vans.

What is commercial van insurance?

Most people looking to insure a van will need a commercial van policy. In fact, the only time you wouldn't need commercial cover is if you use the van solely for domestic and social activities - like doing the shopping or transporting bikes. In this case, you'll need social, domestic and pleasure cover under a private van insurance policy.

Basically, if your van is used for work in any way, and if you travel to and from more than one location on a daily basis, you'll need to take out a commercial policy - also called business van insurance.

There's a grey area when it comes to use of the van for car boot sales. If you sell at them occasionally and the rest of the time use the van for social activities, a private policy should be fine. But if you're a regular trader, insurers may class this as using the van for business purposes. Either way, it's always a good idea to check with your insurance company.

Why is van insurance so expensive?

If you've got car insurance but are finding the premiums for van insurance quotes are much more expensive, there's a reason for this. It's because the costs associated with van insurance claims tend to be much higher due to factors like the cost of equipment inside the van. Insurers offset this risk by charging higher premiums.

If you have a clean driving licence and have built up no claims on previous van policies, these will also help you get quality, cheap van insurance.

Can you use car no claims on van insurance?

Unfortunately, you can only transfer no claims discount built up on van insurance policies. You can't apply the discount to multiple vehicles, either.

Can I get temporary van insurance?

Some insurers offer specific, short-term insurance policies if you're planning to use a van on a short-term basis.

Can I transfer my NCD from my car to my van?

Unfortunately not. If you've built up a no claims discount driving a car, you can only transfer it to another car. No claims discounts can't be applied to multiple vehicles.

I've been involved in an accident. What do I do?

If you need to report an incident or make a claim, call us as soon as possible on 0333 321 9800 . We'll ask you for your policy number so make sure you have it to hand. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Goods in transit cover

If you transport cargo in your van, then you'll need goods in transit. This cover protects you against loss or damage of the goods whilst driving them from one place to another. If you regularly transport high-value items or hazardous products, you'll need to give details of them at the time of getting a quote.

Courier/haulage insurance (carriage of goods for hire or reward)

If you're a delivery driver who uses your van to transport other people's goods for payment, courier/haulage insurance is for you.

Courier insurance is more suitable if you make multiple drop-offs each day at numerous addresses. Haulage insurance, on the other hand, is required when you carry out one or two drop-offs each day, usually through regular contracts. Both courier and haulage policies feature cover for goods in transit.

Carriage of own goods

This cover is for self-employed traders - such as plumbers, electricians and builders - who transport personal tools and equipment in their vans for their job. The policy protects you, the van and your own belongings in the event of an accident, theft or damage. Under the policy, the van will also be covered for social, domestic and pleasure use.

If you're still unsure about the type of cover you need, get in contact with your insurer. You don't want to risk taking out the wrong policy, which could see an insurer refusing a claim.

Van insurance with Hastings Direct

If something were to go wrong, we'll do everything we can to help you get back to business as quick as possible.

You can tailor your policy by choosing from a range of optional extras, including:

Breakdown cover

Roadside assistance and misfuelling are covered under our basic breakdown cover, but you can upgrade to enjoy features such as recovery away from home, emergency driver and home service.

Personal accident

Van personal accident cover will provide you with financial help if you suffer certain injuries as a result of an accident in the insured van. Those injuries include loss of a limb, hearing, speech, or sight in one or both eyes.

Substitute vehicle

If your van is stolen or damaged beyond repair, we'll arrange for a courtesy van for up to 28 days. Under substitute vehicle cover, we'll deliver the van to you free of charge and within one working day of you reporting the incident to us.

Car insurance

Our Direct and Premier policies are 5 Star rated by Defaqto, so why not get a hassle-free car insurance quote today.

Get a car quote

Home insurance

Relax in the knowledge that your home and its contents are well covered. Choose from buildings, contents and combined policies to get the level of cover you need.

Get a home quote

Bike insurance

Great motorbike insurance with flexible extras. Tailor your cover to suit your needs and budget - leaving you free to enjoy the open road.

Get a bike quote