We serve our local communities by being a good neighbour and supporting local charities. Each year we pick a few local charities around our Bexhill and Leicester offices and raise money through fundraising events.
What are Community Days?
Hastings Direct employees have the chance to spend one day a year helping out a local charity or community group, whether that involves mucking in with daily tasks or taking part in a fundraising challenge.
Our employees can choose whether to take a day off work to help out, or to volunteer their time at the weekend. Usually, our staff will head out together as a team – some of the things they've got up to in the past include:
- Wrapping and handing out Christmas presents to less fortunate families
- Gardening and general DIY at local hospices
- Helping at local animal and dog sanctuaries
- Supporting charity partners with family fun days and fundraising events
- Lending a hand at local arts charities.
Back in 2017, we focused our efforts in beautiful Bexhill, home to Hasting Direct's headquarters. Our Big Community Challenge involved our entire leadership team, who split into groups to tackle a whole host of charity-led tasks.
Two groups hit the beach to clean up the coast, while another hosted an afternoon of tea, treats and bingo at the Bexhill Caring Community centre. Meanwhile, another group took over Mind and Cancer Research charity shops.
And to top it off, we hosted our annual charity raffle with prizes kindly donated by local businesses and suppliers. Every single penny raised went to our chosen charity partners.
Who we're helping this year
Every year we pick a handful of new charities to partner up with, with the money raised through our fundraising events and activities distributed among them. As well as donating money to these great causes, we volunteer our time, helping them out with whatever they need.
The charities we're working with this year are:
- You Raise Me Up – An organisation providing much-needed financial and emotional support to families who have lost a young adult between the ages of 16 and 25.
- Seaview project – An open-access wellbeing centre offering help and inspiration for people living on society's margins.
- Hope Against Cancer – Leicestershire and Rutland's local cancer research charity, funding cutting-edge research into the disease and making clinical trials available to the local area.
- Open Hands Leicester – A charity with a Christian foundation that provides free food, clothing, furniture and skills courses to vulnerable and disadvantaged people.
Leesa Pattison, centre manager at You Raise Me Up, said: 'The much needed funds [Hastings Direct] has pledged and started raising for You Raise Me Up will help us continue to provide practical, emotional and financial support to families who lose their young children suddenly.'
Seaview's chief officer, Annie Whelan, said the charity was 'thrilled' to be chosen as one of our partners. She added: 'We're looking forward to developing our relationship with Hastings Direct staff during their community days as well as working with them to address some of our building issues over the next year.'
The Hastings Direct team has already kicked off fundraising activities for these fantastic charities and we can't wait to raise as much money as possible for them this year. If you want to keep track of what we get up to, follow @HDcareers on Twitter.