The following terms also apply to your use of our website, products and services:
About our company
This website (www.hastingsdirect.com) is managed by Hastings Insurance Services Limited, whose registered office is Conquest House, Collington Avenue, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, TN39 3LW (registered in England and Wales no. 3116518).
We're regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority with the register number 311492.
Here's how to get in touch.
What you can do on our website
On our website, you can get a quote and buy an insurance policy. You can also register for and log in to MyAccount, where you can view, download or print your policy documents and most of the emails or letters we send you, at a time that suits you.
The insurance offered on our website is arranged and managed by Hastings Insurance Services Limited. We are an insurance broker, acting on behalf of several insurers, and we may change the insurers we use without giving you any notice.
Policy documents and information
If you'd like to use our online services, you'll be taken through to the website's secure area ('https:' will show in your browser's address bar). Here you'll have online access to our product documents and information, including key policy information, policy terms and conditions and other important legal information. Before getting a quote or buying a policy online, you should read these product documents carefully to make sure you understand what you're buying.
If you buy insurance through the website, you'll find all the important information about your cover in your welcome pack. This will be saved online in MyAccount for you to view, print or download whenever it suits you.
If you'd like paper copies of any documents, you can request these using MyAccount.
Access to our website and its availability
Using our website is free of charge.
You should only use the website if you're a UK resident, and all of our services and information relate to insurance policies that are subject to English law. Please don't use our website in countries where you're restricted or prohibited from doing so by local laws, regulations, codes or customs.
We cannot guarantee our website will always be available for you to use, or that your access will always be uninterrupted or error-free. We may have to suspend, withdraw or restrict the availability of all or part of our website for business or operational reasons, but we'll always try to give you reasonable notice if we need to do this.
We're not responsible for viruses
We can't guarantee our site will be totally secure or free from bugs or viruses. We also can't guarantee that using the website or downloading something from it won't cause damage to your property. This could include loss of data or a computer virus, as well as any other damage.
This means you need to be responsible for your own IT, computer programs and platform so make sure to use virus protection software.
Accuracy of information
Although we work hard to make sure the information on our website is correct and up to date, we can't totally guarantee its accuracy so we won't be responsible if there are any mistakes or we've missed something out.
Also, some of the information on our website is provided by third parties and we have no control over the accuracy or completeness of this information.
We don't give advice on our site
None of the information on our site is intended as advice, so you shouldn't rely on it and we won't be responsible if you do.
How we use your personal information
By using our website you're agreeing to our Privacy Notice, so please make sure to read it carefully.
We can't guarantee that any messages sent by email are completely secure. This means we're not responsible if any emails are intercepted by third parties or if you or anyone else suffers any loss because of a message sent over the internet.
Keep your MyAccount details safe
To register for MyAccount you'll need an email address and a unique password that needs to be kept secure. Once registered for MyAccount (and if you have a car policy with us) you can also use the Hastings Direct App. If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your password, you must tell us. Here's how to get in touch.
We don't approve user-generated content
We encourage customers to leave reviews through our website, but we don't verify or approve this content and it doesn't represent our views or values.
How to complain about user-generated content
If you want to complain about content uploaded by other users, here's how to get in touch.
Uploading content to our site
If you upload any content to our site, or make contact with other users of our site, you must follow the requirements set out in the below sections 'Acceptable use of our website' and 'Our content standards'. We can remove any post we feel doesn't comply with these sections.
If we suffer any loss or damage because you don't follow these standards, you may have to pay us compensation.
Any content you upload will be considered non-confidential. You'll still own your content, but we and other users of our site will have a limited licence to use, store and copy your content and share it with third parties.
We may also disclose your identity to any third party who claims that your content goes against their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy.
Other than the policy documents stored in MyAccount, you're responsible for securing and backing up your content.
Our content standards
These content standards apply to any content you add to our site. We'll decide whether your content meets these standards.
Your content must:
- Be accurate (if it states facts).
- Be genuinely held (if it states opinions).
- Comply with the law in England and Wales and in any country from which it is posted.
Your content must not:
- Be defamatory of any person.
- Be obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory.
- Bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate.
- Promote sexually explicit material.
- Include child sexual abuse material.
- Promote violence.
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trademark of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive anyone.
- Breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Promote any illegal activity.
- Be in contempt of court.
- Be threatening, or abuse or invade anyone's privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to anyone.
- Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Impersonate any person or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with anyone.
- Give the impression the content comes from someone other than you (if the content does come from a different person, you must make this clear).
- Advocate, promote or incite anyone to commit or assist any unlawful or criminal act, for example copyright infringement or computer misuse.
- Contain a statement that you know or believe members of the public are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.
- Contain any advertising or promote any services or web links to other sites.
Acceptable use of our website
You can only use our site for lawful purposes. You must not use our site:
- In any way that breaches any local, national or international laws or regulations.
- In any way that's unlawful or fraudulent or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect.
- To harm or attempt to harm minors in any way.
- To bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate anyone.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or reuse any content that doesn't meet our content standards (see 'Our content standards' section above).
- To transmit, or enable the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- To knowingly transmit any data, or send or upload any content, that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other programs or computer code that's designed to harm the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You must not:
- Reproduce, copy or resell any part of our site.
- Access, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- Any part of our site.
- Any equipment or network on which our site is stored.
- Any software used to provide our site.
- Any equipment, network or software owned or used by any third party that we use to provide our site.
- Attack our site by a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. If you do, you'll be committing a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990 and we'll report this to the relevant law enforcement authorities.
Linking to our site
The copyright of the website and all of its content belongs to Hastings Insurance Services Limited. You can display, retrieve, print, copy or download our content for your personal use only or, if relevant to your policy, your company's use. For any other use, you'll need our written consent.
Using our website or its content for any commercial benefit will be taken seriously and we'll take the necessary action to protect our intellectual property rights.
The names Hastings Insurance Services Limited, Hastings Direct, Hastings Essential, Hastings Premier, Hastings Direct SmartMiles, Insure Pink, and People's Choice and Hastings Direct YouDrive, along with any of our images, logos, icons and trademarks, are owned by Hastings Insurance Services Limited. The names, images, logos and icons of third party companies, products or services featured on the website are the trademarks of their respective owners.
Unless agreed with us in writing, you cannot use any featured name, image, logo or trademark. If you do, it could be an infringement of our, or a third party's, rights as owner.
We may transfer this agreement to another company
We may transfer our rights and obligations under these terms to another company. We'll always tell you in writing if this happens and we'll make sure the transfer won't affect your rights under the contract.
- Issuing you with a warning.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any content you've uploaded to our site.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our site.
- Legal proceedings against you for the repayment of all costs (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from your breach.
- Further legal action against you.
- Informing law enforcement authorities of the breach if we feel it's necessary or required by law.
Limitation of liability
If any defective digital content on our site damages your device or digital content, and it's because we failed to use reasonable care and skill, we'll either repair the damage or pay you compensation for any direct losses you've suffered. However, we won't be responsible if the damage is caused by you not following our advice to apply a free update, not following our installation instructions correctly or not having the minimum system requirements we advise.
If you're a consumer
- The content of the website.
- Any unavailability of the website or certain areas of the website.
- Any amendments or changes to the website or its content.
As a consumer, our site is provided to you for domestic and private use only. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption or loss of business opportunity.
If you're a business
Other than as set out under 'General' above, we exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to our website or any content on it. We're not responsible to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- Use of, or inability to use, our website.
- Use of or reliance on any content displayed on our website.
In particular, we won't be liable for:
- Loss of profits, sales, business or revenue.
- Business interruption.
- Loss of anticipated savings.
- Loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation.
- Any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
Governing law and jurisdiction