Winter proofing your home
As temperatures begin to dip, your home will require maintenance to keep it in tip top condition. So here at Hastings Direct, we've put together some simple tips to help you save money and stay warm through the cold winter months.
- Service your boiler and heating appliances to check they are all safe and working properly.
- Check the roof for missing or loose tiles and gutters for any signs of blockages.
- Cut back or tie off any plants or trees that could be the victim of high winds and pack away any outdoor furniture.
- Have a portable gas heater, blankets and candles prepared in case of a power cut.
- Make sure tanks and pipes, especially in the loft, are in good condition and well insulated.
- If you are going away during the winter, keep central heating on at a minimum to prevent burst pipes.
- Ensure you know where your stop tap is, in case you suffer a burst pipe.
- If your pipes do freeze, turn off the water, central heating and immersion etc. Open the tap to the nearest part of the pipe so water can flow through when melted.
- If you are ever in doubt call a specialist to help you.