Male and female with two children laughing at home on a sofa.

Home legal expenses

Home legal expenses is available as an optional extra as part of your home insurance policy and will help cover legal fees for family members living with you at your permanent address.

What is home legal expenses?

Home legal expenses is available as an optional extra as part of your home insurance policy and will provide you and your family living with you with unlimited access to RAC’s Personal Legal and Debt Helpline. If more help is needed it also provides cover for legal costs to support you in a legal claim.

What does home legal expenses cover?

Our home legal expenses cover gives you and your family unlimited 24-hour access to RAC's Personal Legal and Debt Helpline and will pay out up to £100,000 towards legal costs in supporting a legal claim with:

  • Employment issues, such as unfair dismissal
  • Consumer issues, arising from a purchase, repair, hire or an item you've sold
  • Disputes or damage involving your home
  • Personal injury and clinical negligence
  • Probate disputes involving a will
  • School admissions disputes
  • Tax disputes
  • Motor prosecution defence.

When you make a claim, your case will be assessed. To qualify for legal support, the chance of success for your case must be 51% or over.

Any incidents that happened before the policy started are not covered.

Do I need cover on my home insurance?

Home legal expenses isn't compulsory when taking out a home insurance policy, but it's reassuring to be able to call the RAC's Legal Personal Legal and Debt Helpline whenever you want and, if more support is needed and knowing Legal costs can be incredibly expensive, to have cover in place if you and those living with you ever need it.

Home insurance

We know how important your home and its contents are to you. That's why we offer home insurance that covers you for the unexpected expense that theft, loss and damage can bring. Plus, you can choose from a great range of optional extras.

Log in to MyAccount

Log in to MyAccount to manage your policy online. You can view and download documents at your convenience. If your policy number starts with 'XA' you can also make payments and changes to your policy online.