Certain factors, like an unusually hot summer, can cause subsidence even if a home has never had a problem before.
At Hastings Direct we offer subsidence cover, as standard on our home insurance policies — provided that you haven't claimed for subsidence on your property before.
What to look out for:
- Check the outside or your property — look out for cracks and deal with them as quickly as possible. Typical subsidence cracks start from corners of windows or doors and go right through the wall.
- Windows that don't open easily or doors that stick or jam can also be indicators of subsidence.
- Damaged or leaking drains should be repaired and trees close to your property should be regularly pruned.
- If you discover you have subsidence, act fast — notify your insurance provider immediately.
- Don't panic. Many subsidence problems can be treated without too much disruption.
For more information on subsidence, download a guide from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors at: www.rics.org
At Hastings Direct, we know how important your home and its contents are to you. That's why we offer home insurance that covers you for the unexpected expense that theft, loss and damage can bring. Plus you can choose from a great range of optional extras.