Hastings Direct — Car, Van, Bike & Home Insurance

Contents only insurance

What's covered under contents insurance?

A contents only policy covers your belongings from loss and damage caused by:

  • Theft, attempted theft and vandalism
  • Damage caused by fire, smoke or explosion
  • Weather-related damage such as lightning, storms and flooding
  • Natural disasters such as earthquakes
  • Falling trees and moving objects
  • Oil or water leaks from heating or water fixtures

Get a contents only insurance quote

Under our contents insurance policy, your household goods, personal effects and valuables are all covered, provided they belong to you or your family, or you or your family are legally responsible for them.

Standard contents insurance offers cover of up to £15,000 for any one valuable, and up to £30,000 in total for any one claim for valuables.

We'll also pay out for loss of money up to £500, plus loss or damage of business equipment up to £5,000, which can include up to £500 for stock.

Protect your possessions by taking out a contents only insurance policy with Hastings Direct.

What's not covered:

  • Watercraft, caravans, trailers, and mechanically-propelled vehicles
  • Contents more specifically insured under another policy
  • Any living creature
  • Lottery tickets and raffle tickets
  • Any part of the buildings structure

Home insurance comes in two parts: buildings insurance and contents insurance. Here's everything you need to know about protecting your possessions with a contents only insurance policy.

What is contents insurance?

Contents insurance provides cover for all the items in your home that aren't part of the structure of the building, or a permanent fixture or fitting.

Everyday items include everything from your sofa and TV to clothing and jewellery – even the food in your fridge is usually covered!

Is contents insurance compulsory?

Whereas most mortgage lenders will insist you take out buildings insurance when buying a home, contents insurance isn't compulsory.

However, without contents insurance, you're putting your precious belongings at risk. For example, if your furniture was destroyed by floodwater or your laptop was stolen from your home, you'd have to pay to replace them if you didn't have the right contents insurance in place. If something were to happen, having to replace these things out of your own pocket can get very expensive, very quickly.

When would I need just contents insurance?

If you're renting your home, the only thing you need to worry about is contents insurance, as it's your landlord's duty to arrange cover for the building. If you're moving into a rented home, always double check this in your lease contract.

If you're a landlord and rent your properties out part or fully furnished, you'll have to consider some form of contents cover under your specific landlord insurance policy.

I'm a student living away from home. Do I need contents insurance?

Unfortunately, contents insurance isn't something students tend to think about until it's too late.

It's really important to protect your belongings whilst studying, particularly given the fact the average student takes around £4,000 worth of possessions with them to university. Even with a part-time job, you'd have to work months before saving enough money just to replace a stolen laptop.

Before taking out contents insurance, first check your belongings aren't covered on your parent's policy. Insurance for items taken away from home aren't normally included as standard, but your parents might have paid for the extra cover. If you're living in halls of residence, check if contents cover is included, as some universities offer this as standard and some don't.

How do I value my contents?

When taking out a contents insurance policy, you'll be asked to estimate the value of your contents. This is known as the 'sum insured' and will be the maximum amount your provider will pay out if your contents are damaged or destroyed.

However, many homeowners get the figure wrong and estimate too low, which means they put themselves at risk of being underinsured. On the other hand, if you value your contents more than they're actually worth, you could end up paying more for insurance than you need to.

One way to accurately total the cost of your belongings is to tackle it room by room, making a list of each item and their value. Remember to take into account all the items in your loft, as well as in your shed or garage if you have them.

Though it might be a little more time consuming, using a tool like Go Compare's home contents calculator will help to make sure you get the right level of cover for your belongings – no more, no less

Optional extras

You can tailor your policy to suit your individual needs. Optional extras include:

High value items cover

When retrieving your contents insurance quote, you'll be asked to give details of any items in your home worth more than £1,500, to make sure even your most expensive possessions are protected.

Portable property protection

You'll also have the option of insuring possessions you take away from your home, such as bikes and jewellery.

Home insurance

Our refreshingly straightforward home insurance is Defaqto 5 Star rated, so you can be sure you're getting a great product. Plus you can choose from a great range of optional extras.

Online insurance quotes for your home Get a home insurance quote

Join us...

Image of a seagull standing on some railings