Certain factors, like an unusually hot summer, can cause subsidence even if a home has never had a problem before.
At Hastings Direct we offer subsidence cover, as standard on our home insurance policies — provided that you haven't claimed for subsidence on your property before.
What to look out for:
- Check the outside or your property — look out for cracks and deal with them as quickly as possible. Typical subsidence cracks start from corners of windows or doors and go right through the wall.
- Windows that don't open easily or doors that stick or jam can also be indicators of subsidence.
- Damaged or leaking drains should be repaired and trees close to your property should be regularly pruned.
- If you discover you have subsidence, act fast — notify your insurance provider immediately.
- Don't panic. Many subsidence problems can be treated without too much disruption.
For more information on subsidence, download a guide from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors at: www.rics.org