Home insurance

House and contents cover from Hastings Direct.

At Hastings Direct, we know how important your home and its contents are to you. That's why we offer home insurance that covers you for the unexpected expense that theft, loss and damage can bring.

› Retrieve your home insurance quote

What is home insurance?

Home insurance protects your home and belongings against loss or damage caused by things like fire and theft.

With the right home insurance policy, your provider will cover the costs to repair or replace the building or its contents should something unexpected happen.

If you're just about to take your first step onto the property ladder or simply need a refresh, here's all you need to know about home insurance.

› Retrieve your home insurance quote

What does home insurance cover?

Cover included Hastings
Alternative accommodation cover for all your family and pets
New for old (excluding linens and clothing)
£1,000,000 of buildings insurance
Up to £150,000 contents cover
24 hour claims helpline
Family legal expenses cover  
Home emergency cover  

The services we provide are covered under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

Buildings only insurance

Covers the cost to repair or replace the actual bricks and mortar of your home if it's damaged or destroyed by things like fire, water leaks or storms. Outbuildings such as sheds and garages are also covered, as are permanent fixtures like fitted kitchens and bathroom suites.

Contents only insurance

Protects your personal belongings against loss or damage caused by things like theft, attempted theft, fire, smoke, water leaks and weather-related damage. Items covered include everything from your sofa and TV to your bed and clothes. You can take out extra cover for high-value items and items you take away from the home, like bicycles.

Combined buildings and contents

Combines the above types of cover into one, easier-to-manage policy. Taking out combined insurance means you only have one renewal date to remember and you're likely to get a discount on your premium too. Choose Hastings Direct and you could save up to 20% on your home insurance.

Is it a legal requirement to have home insurance?

Buildings insurance isn't required by law if you're living in, or renting out, a property you own.

If this is your first home, you'll need buildings cover when you take out a mortgage. Your mortgage provider or broker's likely to suggest a certain home insurance provider, but this might not get you the best deal. So get a few home insurance quotes before making a decision.

While it's not a legal requirement to have contents insurance, if you didn't have cover you'd be putting your belongings at risk. If your sofa was ruined by floodwater or your jewellery was stolen, the costs to repair or replace them would come from your own pocket.

If a number of your belongings were damaged, destroyed or stolen at the same time, it could work out extremely expensive – certainly more than the annual premium for contents cover. So this type of insurance is seriously worth considering.

What home insurance do I need if I rent?

If you're a tenant, your landlord is responsible for taking out buildings insurance. It's still important to check they've got this covered when you sign the tenancy agreement – don't be afraid to ask for proof.

Contents insurance for your personal possessions is down to you though. Cover for the landlord's contents, like the sofa if they rent the property part-furnished, is their responsibility.

Does home insurance cover boilers?

Most home insurance policies don't cover boilers as standard, so you'll need to take out extra cover.

Home emergency cover with Hastings Direct offers protection for a range of unexpected household emergencies, including boiler breakdowns. If your boiler stops working, all you need to do is ring the helpline on your policy documents, and we'll send an approved tradesperson to fix it.

This type of policy also covers things like faulty heating systems, draining and plumbing issues, roof damage and failure of power and gas supplies.

Home insurance with Hastings Direct

If you're looking for quality cover for a price that won't break the bank, it's got to be Hastings Direct. While the price depends on the cover, our policies start from £96 with half of our customers paying less than £150 per year.*

Each policy we offer can be tailored to match your individual needs and budget, too.

As well as home emergency cover, we offer:

  • Family legal protection. This covers the cost of pursuing legal proceedings associated with personal injury claims, motoring prosecutions, probate disputes and more. You and all family members living with you at your permanent address will be covered under this policy.
  • Key cover. We'll pay for your keys to be replaced or recovered if they're lost, stolen, locked in or broken in a lock, preventing you from getting into your home. We can also arrange cover for your car or work keys.

Get a home insurance quote with Hastings Direct today and see how much you could save!

› Retrieve your home insurance quote

*10% of Hastings Direct Home insurance customers paid less than £95.54 and 50% paid less than £149.80 between 1st January 2020 and 9th July 2020 (inclusive of taxes and fees).

Car insurance

Our straightforward car insurance is Defaqto 5 Star rated, so you can be sure you're getting a great product. Plus you can choose from a great range of optional extras.

Bike insurance

Great value motorbike insurance with flexible extras. Tailor your cover to suit your needs and budget — leaving you free to enjoy the open road.

Van insurance

All the tools for a great van insurance package, plus flexible options such as breakdown cover and legal protection, so you can tailor your cover to your needs.