What is a SORN?

SORN or Statutory Off Road Notification is used to inform the authorities that a vehicle is not being used on a public road. Even if a vehicle is being kept exclusively on private land, whilst it does not need a tax disc or insurance, the registered keeper will still need to complete a SORN.

When is a SORN needed?

If you are living in the UK and have a vehicle that is being kept off the road, whether it's a rusty old banger or a classic car that is being repaired, you must complete a SORN.

These notifications are not transferable, so if you buy a vehicle that had a SORN from its previous keeper, a new one will be needed. A SORN is only valid for one year, so it's worth making a note of the date that you will need to apply for a renewal in the future if you think your vehicle will be on private land for more than 12 months.

Failure to complete a SORN carries an automatic fine and a County Court Judgement could be made against you.

In some circumstances motor traders do not need to make a SORN. For more information on whether you need to apply for one, or to check a vehicle's SORN status, visit the UK Government website page on how to make a SORN.

What is needed to make a SORN

You can notify the DVLA that you intend to keep your vehicle off the roads by following the steps on its website to declare SORN. The application can be made online or over the phone. You will need your V5C Registration Certificate or your V11 reminder form, if you are renewing your SORN. Vehicle licence issuing Post Office branches can also arrange SORN if you bring your completed V11 tax disc reminder form into the branch.

If you want to get your car back out on the road again you will need to insure and tax it — your SORN will automatically expire when the vehicle is taxed.

Get a car quote

Join us...

stylised image of promenade