New driver car insurance
From comprehensive insurance, third party and third party fire and theft to telematics, Hastings offer a range of competitively priced policies to suit your needs.
Tips for lowering car insurance premiums
As new drivers have less experience, they tend to have a higher risk of being involved in an accident, which in turn can raise car insurance premiums. In fact, 1 in 5 new drivers will have an accident in their first year on the road¹. Despite this, there are certain things you can change to help lower the risk and your premiums.
Firstly, focus on your driving skills:
- Take a Pass Plus test. This gives you more experience of driving in challenging conditions, like on the motorway, which in turn can give you more confidence on the road.
- Be a safe driver. In the long term if you're claim free you'll build up no claims discount which can lower your insurance costs.
Next, think about the safety of your car:
- Park it securely. Parking your car in a garage or other secure location at night reduces the risk of theft and damage; in turn can lower your premiums.
- Install safety features. A steering wheel lock or other safety device and removing all valuables make your car less appealing to thieves.
Get a car quote
- DSA, "The Schools Programme", Driving Standards Agency, 2000