Hastings Direct

What to expect when making a claim

Every claim's different, so even if you've claimed before you may find it stressful, with lots of information to take in.

We want to help make your claims experience as straightforward as possible, so we've put together these short videos to help explain things. They answer some of the common questions about what can happen, from getting your repairs or valuation done and dealing with other people involved in the incident (third parties), to how your insurance and no claims discount (NCD) can be affected.

You can also find more information in the FAQs section further down the page.

How soon can I get back on the road?

Did you find this useful?

✔ X

What if someone else is involved?

Did you find this useful?

✔ X

What if my car can't be repaired?

Did you find this useful?

✔ X

How will claiming affect my insurance?

Did you find this useful?

✔ X

Frequently asked questions

  • > How do I make a claim for my windscreen?

    Call 0333 321 9665 – we're here 24 hours a day.

  • > Will a windscreen claim affect my no claims discount?

    Not if you have a Hastings Direct or Hastings Premier policy.

    If you have a Hastings Essential policy a windscreen claim will affect your no claims discount unless you have protected it.

  • > How do I protect my no claims discount?

    Once you've earned at least one year no claims discount, you can choose to protect it when you renew or buy your policy for the next year. Once protected, you can make up to two fault claims in a three year period without the discount being affected.

    There isn't a set price to protect it, as your insurer will take a number of factors into consideration before offering you a quote.

  • > If my vehicle is written off will my policy be cancelled?

    If you get a new vehicle within 30 days of receiving your total loss payment you'll be able to update your existing policy and it won't be cancelled. If your new vehicle poses a higher risk than the previous one then we may charge you an additional premium for this.

    If you'd like to change your vehicle, contact us or login to MyAccount.

  • > What's an uninsured loss?

    They are any losses you suffer which aren't covered by this insurance policy or any other.

    Examples could include your excess, any loss of earnings, or any injuries you may have suffered as a result of the incident. You can still make a claim for these, but you won't be able to do so through your insurance policy.

  • > How can I claim for my uninsured losses?

    You can claim from the third party's insurer if they were at fault.

    If you have Motor Legal Protection as an optional extra on your policy, we'll instruct the provider to help you with this.

    If you didn't purchase Motor Legal Protection, we can still give you the provider's contact details so you can contact them directly to see if they are able to help.

  • > I've had a claim. Can I add protection to my no claims discount if I pay the difference?

    No, you can only protect your no claims discount when you buy or renew a policy and this is subject to the underwriter's terms and conditions.

    Please note we'll consider all claims when quoting your renewal price, even if you've protected your no claims discount.

  • > Is my child seat or booster seat covered?

    You can check your policy booklet by logging into MyAccount to see if you're covered. If you are we'll pay for a new seat if:

    • You can provide proof of purchase
    • We can inspect the seat (unless it was stolen).

    The replacement seat will be of a similar model and standard to the one you had, even if there's no apparent damage.

  • > Can I claim for any personal belongings damaged in this incident?

    We'll pay the cost of replacing certain items if:

    • This is covered by your policy
    • We can inspect the item (unless it was stolen).

    Check your policy booklet for your level of cover and more details on what items we cover, in what circumstances and how we process these claims.

  • > Can I claim for onward transport or overnight accommodation?

    On most comprehensive car policies you can claim for up to £50 per person, and up to a maximum of £250 for onward transport or one night's hotel accommodation.

    If you have a third party only, third party fire and theft, or a Hastings Essentials car, bike or van policy you won't be able to claim for this.

    You can check your policy booklet in MyAccount to see whether this is included on your policy.

  • > How big is the courtesy car?

    They are hatchbacks, so will be around the size of a Vauxhall Corsa or a Ford KA.

  • > What claims do I need to tell you about

    For car, bike and van policies you must tell us about all claims, damages or losses that you or any named driver on the policy has made in the last five years. This is for any type of vehicle and includes fault, non-fault and windscreen claims.

    We check the claims information you give us against information held in the Claims and Underwriting Exchange (CUE).

Join us...

A seagull standing on some railings