Three bikers ride along a country road.

Important information about using your bike abroad

Taking your bike abroad

Good news! All our policies cover using your bike in the EU (and several other European countries) as standard. All riders on the policy will have the same level of cover as in the UK for any trip, for up to 90 days per trip. See your policy documents for full terms and conditions.

As the UK is part of the Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA), you don’t need to carry a green card when travelling in Europe but you will need to provide proof of insurance if requested.

Frequently asked questions

Can you ride your bike in Europe?

You’ll need to take a few essential items with you, including:

  • Your certificate of insurance (you can download this from MyAccount).
  • Your vehicle registration document (known as your V5C or log book). If your bike is leased, you’ll need the Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103), which is available from your leasing provider.
  • A full, valid driving licence.
  • Your passport, plus you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for some countries.
  • A UK Sticker - you must now display a UK sticker instead of a GB sticker, unless your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack).

You can find full details of what's needed for the countries you intend to travel to on the driving abroad section of UK government’s website.

What countries are covered?

You can ride your bike (for up to 90 consecutive days) in any EU country, plus Bosnia and Herzegovina, Gibraltar, Iceland, Montenegro, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Andorra and Serbia.

What do I do if I have an accident while in Europe?

Don’t worry, we’ll be on hand to help. Just get in touch as soon as you can, either in the app or MyAccount or, if you prefer, you can call us on +44 1424 738 585.

What do I do if I break down while in Europe?

If you have European breakdown cover on your policy, just call us for help

If you need to request a claim form:

Bike insurance

Tailor your cover to suit your needs and budget - leaving you free to enjoy the open road.

Log in to MyAccount

Log in to MyAccount to manage your policy online. You can view and download documents at your convenience. If your policy number starts with 'XA' you can also make payments and changes to your policy online.