Affected by Coronavirus? Get help online or make changes via the app or MyAccount
A person passes their travel documenatation for checking.

Taking your vehicle abroad - frequently asked questions

The UK has left the EU, so the rules for driving abroad have changed.

Taking your vehicle abroad - frequently asked questions

If you're planning a driving trip in the EU, you must make sure you have:

  • Your Certificate of Motor Insurance and your policy document, to prove you're insured for driving in the EU (these are both available in MyAccount).
  • Your vehicle registration document (V5) to prove you own the vehicle.
  • A GB sticker clearly displayed on your vehicle (and any trailer).
  • An international driving permit (IDP) for driving in certain countries. Check if you need an IDP.
  • You don't need a Green Card as the UK is now part of the Green Card Free Circulation Area.

Do I need a Green Card?

No, you don't need a Green Card when driving in the EU as the UK is now part of the Green Car Free Circulation Area.

However, in some countries you'll need an international driving permit (IDP) Check if you need an IDP.

Am I insured to drive in the EU?

Yes. Like all UK motor insurance providers, we'll provide you with the legal minimum motor insurance cover for you to drive your vehicle within EEA countries.

So, if you're a UK motorist, you won't need to buy additional third-party motor insurance policy cover. As many of our policies come with a similar level of cover abroad as in the UK, we recommend you check your level of cover which is also in your policy booklet.

Will I need a GB sticker on my vehicle?

  • You could get fined if you don't display a GB sticker on your vehicle or trailer.
  • You'll need a GB sticker even if your number plate already has a GB or the EU symbol on it.
  • They're available from a variety of high street and online retailers, as well as departure points in the UK, and only cost a couple of pounds.

What happens if I'm driving with a trailer or caravan?

  • If you plan to take a commercial trailer weighing over 750kg or a non-commercial trailer weighing over 3,500kg, you must also register it with the Government before you can travel to, or through, most EU and EEA countries. Find out more about IDPs and how to get one.

If I have a Hastings Direct YouDrive policy, do I still need to share my driving data?

You'll still need to share your driving data with us if you plan to drive in the EU. If you're concerned about your mobile data usage, you don't need to have your mobile data turned on while driving to record your trips and you can also set up your app so it only sends us data when you reach a WiFi location. To do this, simply go into the app's settings, select 'preferences' and turn on 'upload trip data using WiFi only'. Please make sure your location services and Bluetooth are still switched on in your phone settings. You can revert back to the original settings at any time, simply follow the above steps again and turn off 'upload trip data via WiFi only'.

I drive in the EU regularly. Will I need to tell my insurer every time I travel?

No, you're covered for each trip (up to 90 consecutive days) to use your car in any EU country, plus Bosnia and Herzegovina, Gibraltar, Iceland, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Andorra and Serbia. Please see your policy documents for details.

If you're travelling for longer than 90 days (per trip abroad), you'll need to let us know before you travel and you may need to pay an additional premium. If you don't tell us, you'll only have the minimum cover required by the relevant law after 90 days have passed.

We'll update this page if anything changes to the rules on driving your vehicle abroad, so make sure to check back here if you're planning a trip. You can also find more info at:

Related links

Multi-award winning

We are a multi-award winning business and one of the UK's fastest growing insurance groups.

  • 2013–2015 & 2018 Consumer Moneyfacts Awards Car Insurance Provider of the Year
  • 2014 & 2015 UK Broker Awards, Personal Lines Broker of the Year
  • 2014 British Insurance Awards, Personal Lines Broker of the Year


Defaqto 5 Star Ratings

Defaqto 5 Star rated motor insurance.

Our Hastings Direct and Hastings Premier car insurance is Defaqto 5 Star rated